Chef of the Year 2016
Tue, 15 Mar 2016
If you are passionate about your profession as a chef and committed to using locally produced ingredients, here is a chance to promote your skills and the establishment where you work. The first prize is £500 cash for you plus promotion via a media of your choice - for you and the place where you work – to the value of £500. Total prize is worth £1,000. The promotion must be actioned by 31st December 2016.
To enter, please complete the application form and return it by 27th May 2016, ensuring that you include a recipe for your chosen entry and an image of the finished dish. The recipe must feature local ingredients and judging will take this into account. It must state quantities and method so that the recipe can be used by anyone.
The heats will take place on Sunday 3rd July 2016 between 3pm – 5pm at the Queenie Festival, Port St Mary. Each heat will last an hour in which participants will be interviewed and then cook their chosen recipe. Marks will be awarded as follows: proportion of local ingredients used (15), taste (10), presentation (10) and skill (10). You will have a time limit of 35 minutes in which to cook but some preparatory work may be done ahead of time at the judges’ discretion.
The final will take place at the Isle of Man Food & Drink Festival on the 18th September 2016 at the Villa Marina Gardens at 1pm.
We understand that seasonality may affect your choice of ingredients so different recipes may be used in the heats and in the final, if shortlisted. However, the use of predominantly local ingredients remains a priority for the judges. A recipe and image must be provided if your chosen dish varies.
This competition, generously sponsored by Robinson’s and an important part of our ‘Food Matters’ strategy, will put the spotlight on Manx talent, produce and the significant contribution of the food and drink sector to the economy. ‘Food Matters’ is DEFA’s strategy to grow the food and drink sector by £50 million in the next decade.
Previous winners of the Chef of the Year title are:
(2010) John Dixon from Harbour Lights, Ramsey
(2011) Mohamed Hugue from Spice of India, Ramsey
(2012) Robert Hooper from L’Experience, Douglas
(2013) Joan Mowatt from Tanrogan Seafood Restaurant, Douglas
(2014) Darren Woods from 14 North
(2015) James Stubbs from The Court House
HOW TO ENTER
1. Please complete the Isle of Man Chef of the Year Entry Form and include your recipe.
2. Submit the recipe by hand, post or email to:
Isle of Man Chef of the Year Competition
Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture
Thie Slieau Whallian
Isle of Man IM4 3AS
COMPETITION RULES & CONDITIONS
1. Entrants must be currently working in the catering industry.
2. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
3. No alternatives to the stated prize are available.
4. All recipe entries must be received by 12 noon on Friday 27th May 2016.
5. Entry forms and the Guide to Isle of Man Food & Drink can be downloaded at http:
6. Only one entry per person is permitted.
7. Entrants should be aged 18 or over from Sunday 3rd July 2016.
8. The heat entrants will be notified by telephone in advance of Sunday 3rd July 2016.
9. The competition promoter is the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture.
10. All entrants’ information and material submitted remains the property of the promoter and will not be returned.
11. Entrants agree to make themselves available without cost for publicity purposes as required prior to, during and after the competition.
12. The competition winner must use the prize money for promotional activity by 31st December 2016.
13. Entrants agree to allow the use of their entry information and recipes for publicity purposes.
14. Data Protection and Privacy: The Promoter will keep details of all entrants on a database. By verifying participation in the Competition, entrants agree that the Promoter and its associated companies may use this information.
15. These terms and conditions are governed by and construed and performed in accordance with the laws of the Isle of Man.